There are so many activities happening in Sarangani that gives October its flare. This is a real Octoberfest because Glan and Alabel will be sizzling with events.
The Centennial Celebration of Glan is going to be starstudded from October 2 till October 8! The 7-day Concert celebration is dubbed as “Concerts of the Century”.
On October 8, Glan is celebrating its 100th Founding Anniversary. Main highlight will be their Lubi-Lubi Festival and the street dances that will showcase the culture of the town. Go Sarangani can take you on a Glan Centennial Tour to see the Colono marker, the century old trees, the first church, and around the coconut village. This is a once in a hundred years event, so it should be worth the trip.
Meanwhile in Alabel, from October 1 -31, Woodstock Sarangani will be bringing over 100 bands to rock the town. Also the Goldenboy Herrera Farm will be transformed into one mini Carnival with rides from Manila. Watch out for the Sea Dragon and Hurricane roller coaster! They also have a Night Market that will be selling food, goodies and souvenir items!
Since October is also the National Indigenous People’s Month, Sarangani is also preparing another celebration with its Tribal Leaders and Communities. Simultaneously, an Indigenous Textile Exhibit showcasing the Blaan “Tabih” that is weaved in Lamlifew, Sarangani and Landan, Polomolok is also being prepared. Thanks to Emi Englis, Bing Carino, and Arjho Turner who are pushing this advocacy and organizing this event. We will give you more details as these events unfold.
As for now, if you are wondering what to do and see in October… we invite you to mark your October for Sarangani!
Glan is one of the oldest town of South Central Mindanao. GLAN was the name called for the entire East side of Sarangani and including General Santos City. General Santos City formerly named as “Dadiangas” or “Rajah Buayan” was just a barrio of the huge town of Glan. It was in 1914, that settlers from the Visayas bravely occupied and tilled the soils of Glan.
A hundred years later, Glan is now a progressing town of Sarangani Province. It is the Coconut Queen of the South with thousands of hectares of rolling Coconut tree hills. Coconut is the main agricultural product and economic activity of Glan. Its next biggest attraction is the beautiful, pristine, white sand beach of Gumasa. Yearly the awarded Sarangani Bay Festival event (also known as the Biggest Beach Festival of Mindanao) is hosted in Gumasa. Thousands flock to join the different sports activities and to enjoy the beach.
If you wish to take a tour in Glan, you can make your reservations with Go Sarangani Travel. Here are the list of the upcoming events coming this September 23- October 8.
Glan will only turn 100 once, so witness its turning of a century!
(Click on photo to enlarge)
Just a few tips from us on traveling smart.
1. Passports are a must when going internationally. It is good to apply for a passport atleast 3 months before travel. Current backlogs from DFA are causing headaches for travelers. For your safety apply as early as 3 months to be safe.
2. If your passport is going to expire in 6 months time, you should go to the nearest DFA office and renew it. Make sure that from the date of your travel your passport is atleast 7 months from expiration. 6 months and below before expiration can deny you entry in some countries.
3. If a child is traveling internationally without his parents, remember you need to get a certificate from DSWD. The accompanying adult even if one is a relative (aunt, uncle, grandparents), must still obtain a DSWD certification. You will need to supply birth certificate and a letter from the parents including their IDs when applying for this certificate.
4. If you are traveling and you are pregnant, you will need to get a letter from your doctor allowing you to travel. Some airlines will not allow a pregnant woman traveling without a certification from her OB-GYNE.
5. If you are working in government, please check with your HR and with DILG to certify you to travel. Especially elected officials, the DILG certification will allow you to exit the country without any hassle.
6. Identification cards are needed when you travel. No Airline will check you in without an identification card. So make sure you bring one to the airport!
7. Visa Applications must be done atleast 2 months before travel. Please make sure you comply the application form honestly and that support documents are complete and updated.
For more travel documentation assistance please contact us!
Go Sarangani Travel